Twenty-six LLUSD students—10 class of 2019 dentistry, 6 class of 2018 dentistry, 1 class of 2020 dentistry and nine class of 2018 dental hygiene—received a remarkable seven awards and one honorary mention in table clinic competition during the 2018 annual meetings of the California Dental Association and California Dental Hygiene Association meetings in Anaheim May 16-19.
Led by So Ran Kwon, DDS, MS, PhD, MS, director, Student Research, and with the encouragement of 10 advisors, the School’s student researchers took first place in three of four categories—Original Research (DH), Clinical Category (DDS), Scientific Category (DDS) as well as a second-place Community Category award (DDS), two third place awards (Clinical and Scientific), and an honorable mention in the Community Category.
Dr. Kwon is understandably pleased with the performance of the LLUSD student researchers: “Our school has always been a vanguard in creating an environment that fosters student research opportunities. This year’s success would have not been possible without strong support from LLUSD administration, the dedication and commitment of mentors, and the passion of our student researchers!“
Photos of the School’s participants and a list of their research projects advisors follow.
- Jung-Wei Chen, DDS, MS, PhD, MS, program director, Advanced Specialty Education Program in Pediatric Dentistry
- So Ran Kwon, DDS, MS, PhD, MS, director, Student Research, LLUSD
- Kevin Nick, PhD, associate professor, School of Medicine
- Udochukwu Oyoyo, MPH, assistant professor, LLUSD
- Christopher Perry, PhD, assistant professor, School of Medicine
- Clyde Roggenkamp, DDS, MSD, associate professor, LLUSD
- Montry Suprono, DDS, MSD, assistant professor, Center for Dental Research
- Elvin Walemba, PhD candidate, School of Medicine
- Min Wang, DDS, MS, Department of Endodontics, School & Hospital of Stomatology, Wenzhou Medical University, Wenzhou, China
- Shelly Withers, BS (DH), MS, associate professor, Department of Dental Hygiene