Twelve LLU School of Dentistry faculty and alumni shared their research with poster presentations at the 97th General Session and Exhibition of the International Association for Dental Research (IADR) June 19-22 in Vancouver.
Two members of the LLUSD contingent received awards.
The John W. Stanford New Investigator Award for Standards-Related Research Papers was presented to Claudie Pascal, DDS’19, based on her research project: “A Laboratory Model to Evaluate Tooth Bleaching Efficacy in Stained vs Non-Stained Human Teeth.” Dr. Pascal’s co-investigators included Prarthit Mehta, BDS (IDP class of 2021), Jeffery Pascal, DDS’16, first-year OFMS resident, and Udochukwu Oyoyo, MLIS, MPH, assistant professor, Dental Education Services. The project was mentored by So Ran Kwon, DDS, MS, PhD, MS, professor and program director, Student Research.
Meanwhile, the American Dental Association Standards Committee on Dental Products (ADA SCDP) presented its 2018 SCDP Volunteer Award to Yiming Li, DDS, MSD, PhD, associate dean, Research, for his “significant contribution, dedication, and commitment to the voluntary standards program for dental products.”
Presentations took place in conjunction with the 48th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Dental Research and the 43rd Annual Meeting of the Canadian Association for Dental Research.
Each LLUSD research presentation is listed below.
- “Dentin/Pulp Responses to a Hydrophobic Oxirane/Acrylate IPN Resin Composite,” Montry Suprono, DDS’07, MSD’11, director, Center for Dental Research
- “Mutagenicity Evaluation of a Hydrophobic Oxirane/Acrylate IPN Resin Composite,” Wu Zhang, MD, professor, Dental Education Services
- “Oral-Health-Knowledge and Oral-Health-Related-Quality-of-Life among Adults Aged 65 years and above,” So Ran Kwon, DDS, MS, PhD, MS, director, Student Research
- “CBCT and MRI Render Similar Pharyngeal Airway Measurements," Victoria Geren, DDS’15 (IDP), final year graduate student, Advanced Dental Education Program in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- “Subgingival Microbiota and Hypertension in African Americans,” Ahmed Khocht, DDS, MSD, professor, Department of Periodontics
- “Measurement of Erosion Depth using Microcomputed Tomography and Light Microscopy,” Gina Roque-Torres, DDS, MsC, PhD, postdoctoral fellow and research associate, Center for Dental Research
- “Hypersensitivity/Oral Mucosa Irritation Potential of a Hydrophobic Oxirane/Acrylate IPN Composite,” Abu Shufian Ishitiaq Ahmed, MS, PhD, Research Associate, Center for Dental Research
- “Potential Penetration of Functional Gold Nanorods into Tooth Enamel,” Yiming Li, DDS, PhD, MSD, associate dean, Research
- “CBCT and MRI Yield Similar Maxillary Sinus Measurements,” Cara Hodg-son, DDS’17, final year graduate student, Advanced Dental Education Program in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- “Comparison of Two Methods for Evaluating Efficacy of DUWL Disinfectants,” Omaima Mohamed, lab assistant, Center for Dental Research
- “Evaluating Bonding Agent's Effect in Microleakage of a Bioactive Restorative Material,” Jung-Wei Chen, DDS, MS, PhD, program director, Advanced Dental Education Program in Pediatric Dentistry
Some of the LLUSD contingent gathered for food and fraternity.