DATE: Sunday, December 3, 2023
TIME: Registration 8:30 a.m. - Lecture: 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Pre-registration is recommended; registrations can be completed the morning of class.
LOCATION: Online course delivery via Zoom
TUITION: $195 DDS / $145 AUX
CREDIT: This course meets the Dental Board of California’s requirements for 7 units of continuing education.
AGD Code: 490
RICHARD A. NATHAN, DMD, MS
Clinical Professor at UCSF and UOP Dental Schools
Private Practice in San Francisco for 35 years
The diagnosis and treatment of periodontal and peri-implant diseases are constantly changing and new approaches are rapidly being developed. It is imperative that you stay abreast of the latest developments and update your knowledge in this exciting field. This course will provide a practical overview of non-surgical and surgical periodontal techniques for teeth and implants of interest to the general dentist, dental hygienist, as well as dental support staff.
Topics will include a discussion of the etiology and pathogenesis of periodontitis and peri-implantitis. This analysis of "health to disease" will, in a logical and clear manner, outline the role of external factors as well as the host immune response in periodontitis/peri-implantitis.
Indications and legal ramifications of non-surgical periodontal therapy, as well as the latest developments in chemotherapeutics, will also be presented.
Of special interest will be an extensive overview of laser periodontal therapy for teeth and implants. This topic will include current research and clinical approaches using diode, NgYag, ErYag as well as CO2 lasers for crown lengthening, curettage, apthous ulcer and herpetic lesion therapy.
- Understand the role of the immune system in the progression of periodontal and peri-implant disease
- Learn when it is appropriate to refer your patients to the periodontist
- Learn how to effectively diagnose, prognosticate and treat periodontitis/peri-implantitis
- Learn the basics of the "non-surgical crown lengthening technique"
- Diagnose periodontitis and peri-implantitis
- Treatment of periodontitis and peri-implantitis
- Learn about determining a periodontal prognosis
- Learn how to determine at what point teeth should be extracted and implants placed
- Learn about laser therapy in periodontics