Dental Hygiene, BS Program
The Admissions Office at Loma Linda University School of Dentistry is participating in the ADEA Dental Hygiene Centralized Application Service, known as DHCAS. Applicants to the A.S., B.S. and on-line degree completion Dental Hygiene program will apply online using the DHCAS application. To learn more about the DHCAS application process, visit www.adea.org. A supplemental application for LLUSD will also be required.
Dental Hygiene is an undergraduate program in the School of Dentistry, and is largely focused on preventive oral health services and continuing care. The purpose of the program is to develop professionals prepared for the current practice of dental hygiene and future changes in dentistry. The hygienist works in association with the dentist in private–practice offices, industrial organizations, schools, hospitals, local, state or federal public health services, and the armed forces.
- Proficiency in verbal and written English
- 20 hours minimum of observation/shadowing
- Dental assisting experience is strongly recommended.
- Three letters of reference including: Spiritual leader, science professor and employer.
- A formal interview (by invitation only).
- Official transcripts from all schools attended.
- Religion–if attending an Adventist school–Four quarter or three semester units for each year attended
- Humanities–20 quarter or 14 semester units, 3 content areas required from the list below:
- Art History & Appreciation
- Music History & Appreciation
- Performing Arts (4 units max)
- Foreign Language
- Anatomy and Physiology I & II–Two classes with lab
- Microbiology–One class with lab
- Chemistry–Introductory Inorganic, Organic & Biochemistry–One year with lab
- College level Math–One class
- Cultural Anthropology–One class
- Introduction to Psychology–One class
- Introduction to Sociology–One class
- Freshman English–One year
- Speech–One class
- Physical Education–Two activity classes
- Personal Health or Nutrition–One class
96 quarter or 64 semester units of accredited college coursework
GPA of 3.0 or higher in science courses is recommended
Courses must be a C or higher to meet LLUSD requirements
Science courses must be completed within Five (5) years of admission
How to Apply
All applicants must apply online at www.adea.org.
Based on the review of the application, transcripts and recommendation letters, applicants may be invited to LLUSD for a personal interview.
Q: Do I have to complete all pre–requisite coursework before I can apply?
A: No. You may apply with coursework in progress, and an applicant may be accepted with a deficiency in one or more of the areas but is expected to eliminate deficits before enrolling in the Dental Hygiene Program.
Q: Can I attend part–time or work while in the program?
A: No. This is a full–time program and working is discouraged.
National Board Exam
Upon successful completion of the Dental Hygiene program, all students are required to pass National and State or Regional practical exams.
Students applying for, or holding F–1 U.S. Student Visas are required by U.S. immigration regulation to secure sufficient funds for their first year’s tuition and fees (for 2009–2010 DH, this is approximately $35,000) and provide documentary evidence of sufficient funds for their second year.
To satisfy this immigration requirement, LLUSD requires non–U.S. citizens and non–U.S. permanent residents to pay the first year’s tuition and fees before they register for autumn quarter.
Forms and Additional Information
- Class of 2016 Profile
- Class of 2015 Profile
- Class of 2014 Profile
- Class of 2013 Profile
- Class of 2012 Profile
- Current Catalog
- Recommendation Form
- Observation/Shadowing Form
- Estimated Student Expenses
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition, Dental Hygienists, Statistics on salary, job growth, and demand areas.
Information on blood borne infectious diseases and possible work-related risks and injuries.
Education/career paths and national and state employment opportunities.
RDH scope of practice in California.
Disclaimer: The School reserves the right to modify or change admission standards or requirements at any time without prior notice and effective immediately. The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and does not create any agreement or understanding or establish any rights or responsibilities whatsoever between LLU School of Dentistry and any student or prospective student.